Friday 31 January 2014

CONTEXT OF PRACTICE 2 - BRIEF 1 - PLAN

After my progress tutorial with Richard I made a list of tasks to complete to help me progress with the module;


  • Write final essay question.
  • Develop concept (relates to physical outcome).
  • Create detailed essay plan.

Once I have complete each of the above criteria I will be in a position where I can start writing my essay. Furthermore, when self-assessing my project last year I noted that producing a detailed essay plan, with a selection of supporting quotes, will help me complete the essays production quickly and without problem. Last year I only created a very basic essay plan, and I believe that this severely affected the timescale of the essays completion. 


ESSAY QUESTION

I started creating the question by defining a list of aspects that I want to review in my essay, the aspects relate directly to the subject matter that I want to review when writing my essay; 
  • The conditioning of young children to create consumers.
  • Is creating young consumers key to the success of consumerism/capitalist culture? 
  • Born to buy.
  • The integration of children into consumerist culture and the benefits for companies.
  • Children's lack of ambition with regards to success (always focused on earning more money - related to class?)
  • Child related commodities (what is marketed? Is it beneficial to them?)




ANALYSING THE POINTS

Next, I analysed the points displayed above to help me define a point of focus for the essay question, this is an important step as it will dictate how the question is written. 

When I reviewed the points listed above I realised that, due to their similarities, they could be combined to create a singular point that covers all mentioned aspects. Although not all of the points are initially referenced they will be definitive subjects covered within the essay.


MAIN FOCUS;
  • The conditioning of young children to create a generation of consumers and the importance of doing so for the successful perpetuation of capitalist culture. 


WRITING THE QUESTION

After defining the main of the essay I felt that I was in an informed enough position to start creating my essay question. 


QUESTION

How does the capitalist system condition young children into becoming compliant consumers? 



AIMS & OBJECTIVES 

I have further expressed the primary focus of my essay through the specifics of my aims and objectives;


AIMS;
  • Firstly, by outlining how children are conditioned into becoming brainless consumers, I hope to show how the capitalist system purposefully manipulates the youth to perpetuate consumerist ideology.

OBJECTIVES;
  • Goals or a step on the way to meeting the aim; how will it be achieved?



EXAMPLES & SUPPORTING MEDIA.

Once the question had been created and I evidenced the specifics of the project I started collecting a selection of quotes and data that can be applied to support the points made in my essay. 







ESSAY PLAN

After creating a list of quotes that can be used to support the points made by my essay I started writing a detailed essay plan. 





No comments:

Post a Comment