Tuesday 13 May 2014

PPP2 - STUDIO BRIEF 2 - WEBSITE

After I had finished the process of creating the printed aspects of my personal branding I continued with the project by creating the supporting website. 

As a designer, I currently use a website called Behance to promote my work on an online platform. The website offers users place where they can upload images of work along side the project details to essentially create an online portfolio accessible to anyone with access to a computer.

As a website Behance is really useful and relevant to my design practice and the PPP module because it is part of one of the biggest creative networks in the industry, with millions of artists, designers, photographers and creative members spanning the globe. The fact that the website has a global creative platform is very beneficial to up-and-coming designers looking to break into the industry as it allows you to get recognition for quality work that is produced. Additionally, the website also allows you to message professionals through the website, this feature is something I want to utilise further in third year to help me gain more industry contacts. 

One negative aspect of the website is the fact that there is not much creative freedom with regards to the editing of page and project layouts.







WEBSITE 

As well as the conventional Behance portfolio websites there is also a professional service available to users for a small monthly charge. The professional side of Behance allows users to design their own websites using an easy to follow site builder that requires no user produced HTML or CSS coding. The site builder allows users to quickly create professional standard websites without the tedious task of coding all of its individual aspects. 


The Behance professional sites have some advantages over more common websites, the main one being the fact that, like a standard Behance portfolio site, the pages get a lot of traffic directly from designers, artists and illustrators working within the industry. As previously mentioned, for a student looking to soon break into the professional industry this is a very useful aspect.  

Some of the additional, beneficial features of a Behance pro website are featured below.




AVAILABLE FEATURES
  • Full resolution images.
  • Integrate tumblr & wordpress.
  • Typekit fonts.
  • Own domain.
  • Unlimited bandwidth.
  • Password protected.
  • HTML & CSS editing.
  • Google Analytics.
  • Social Media.


CONCLUSION

As part of the brief we are required to create some sort of web based presence. However, due to the very tight timescale I am working to combined with my lack of experience with creating websites it is just not feasible to design and code my own, professional standard website. Therefore, to overcome this problem I have decided to utilise the services available from the Behance Professional website builder.  Utilising the builder will help me to create a professional standard website that is relevant to my design practice and in theme with the rest of my personal branding.





WEBSITE PRODUCTION

The images below document the design process of creating my website. The process was started by first selecting a base layout. From the selection of available layouts I chose to apply a simple two column design.




Next, the builder allowed users to select and upload projects already featured on their standard Behance website, this is a clear example of the integration that the two different sites share and evidences why the professional sites get so much traffic from the Behance community. 





The next set of options allowed me to change the sites general aesthetics. The typeface was changed to 'Courier New' to match the body copy applied within my personal identity, coherent choices such as this allowed me to create a site that was in theme with the rest of my branding.




The circular fingerprint icon synonymous of my personal identity was added to the top left hand corner of the site. When audience members access the page this is the first thing that they will look at which is important as it is a definitive part of the identity created for myself.




Next, the spacing was adjusted between the icon logo and the rest of the page elements.




The site so far.




ON-GOING DEVELOPMENT

The site was developed to an acceptable standard ready for the presentation and submission of the PPP module. However, I am personally  still not satisfied with the aesthetic standard of the site and so will not be going live with the page until further development has been completed. Specifically, I want to develop the general layout of the website by increasing the size of the project images and adding the primary logo displaying both the icon and typography. 

In my spare time over summer I will develop the website further and eventually go live with the site giving me a personal, professional standard portfolio website.




No comments:

Post a Comment